A rare two seater Scottish fireclay garden bench, in the rustic style with the seat in the form of tree stumps and the back and arms formed by entwined branches, all glazed in realistic green and brown tones. Impressed twice with the label for J & M Craig, Kilmarnock, Scotland. Circa: 1885
J & M Craig was founded in the early 19th century as largely a brick making operation by Matthew Craig. By the mid-19th century his two sons, Matthew and James had taken over ownership of the firm and expanded into garden items including urns, planters and seats. The firm was liquidated in 1927.